font-family: 'Italianno', cursive;

Saturday, June 19, 2010

RAIN




If a farm were a living breathing organism (which it is, really ) its life blood would be rain.

Even though I see it year after year, I am still in awe of the change that can occur literally over night in some instances.

We are now in that summer weather pattern where the heat builds all day and in the late afternoon - it rains...

everyday.

It is hot and sunny, then the temperature drops, the wind blows, the animals kick up their heels with relief and run and cavort in their fields....

and people have about 2 - 3 minutes to find shelter or find a bucket of wetness dropped on your head.

These are violent, thunder booming, lightning filled, drenching storms that coupled with the heat before and after, create an outdoor greenhouse.

Remember when I was forced to turn the grass fed steers out to graze because their grass was all gone?

This was "The Littlest Princess" herding the steers out of their field of dying rye so that they could graze the lush green pasture behind it.




Millet was planted for them and we waited for rain.

This is the same field 5 weeks later...





Belly deep in the good stuff!

So no more "babysitting" them while they are turned out on the hayfield every afternoon
(I got a lot of reading done)


So tell me, my little buds...will you miss hanging out together with me on the open range?

2 comments:

  1. I AM SO HAPPY FOR THEM!!!! I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING SINCE THEY WERE BORN AND I FEEL LIKE AN AUNTIE! GOOD THING BEEF ISN'T MY THING HUH? NOW IF THEY WERE LAMBS I WOULDN'T BE SO QUICK TO ADOPT THEM SINCE THAT IS MY FAVORITE RED MEAT. WOW, HOW DID I GO FROM A RELATIONSHIP TO YOUR COWS TO THINKING ABOUT THEM AS FOOD (?) .....
    WELL, IT'S SO NICE TO SEE YOUR HAPPY COWS AND SOMETHING TELLS ME YOU WILL STILL GET PLENTY OF READING DONE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marty!

    You are so funny!

    Indie

    ReplyDelete