font-family: 'Italianno', cursive;

Monday, June 13, 2011

Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off

Somebody stop the tomato storm!

It is a Monday.

This is what I have staring me in the face.







I have made all the salsa one person can make. Everyone scatters when they see me coming with a bowl in my hands.

There will be another wave of fresh tomatoes ripening in a day or so.

Its time to fight fire with....

the freezer.

I used to stand over a boiling pan of water blanching tomatoes and fishing them out and then peeling them. Its the long hot frustrating way to do things.

And then I came up with a better system. Better because it involves less work!

First core the tomatoes










Posted by Picasa













Place in a microwave safe bowl


















Posted by Picasa









cover with a paper towel and microwave 2 to 3 minutes per tomato depending on your microwave.









Posted by Picasa









Let them stand covered and cool for 15 minutes or longer.

The skin separates and peels off easily using fingers or a fork.








Posted by Picasa


This yields (from 4 tomatoes) approx a quart of lovely fresh tomatoes which will be great to have this winter.







Posted by Picasa

I put mine in gallon freezer bags because that's what I had on hand.








Posted by Picasa

I hung the bag of tomatoes from the shelf above using a container of ice Cream as a weight to hold it. I guess clothespins would work too. I let it hang suspended between the frozen blueberries and the Haagen Dazs for two hours because I was going for a log shaped roll for easy stacking instead of letting the tomatoes spread around in the bag.









Posted by Picasa




So it was a laid back style of accomplishing. Micro, let stand till cool, bag, freeze...

but it left me free to do other things and at the end of the day I had that pile of tomatoes tucked away for winter.






Posted by Picasa


It was easy enough that I think I can do this every other day till the tomatoes are gone.

We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment